Metal Manufactures Limited was established in 1916 to supply copper products previously imported from Germany. The venture was jointly financed by various Australian companies involved in the mining and refining of copper and by British Insulated and Helssby Cables Limited. Construction on the first stage of the Company's factory complex at Port Kembla was completed in May 1918. The company produces tubes, wires and stranded electrical conductors in copper, aluminium and alloys of these metals. Products are marketed under the brand name Kembla.