The First Miners’ Women’s Auxiliary was established at Wonthaggi, Victoria in 1934. On the New South Wales South Coast,, the first auxiliary was established at Scarborough in 1938. Other auxiliaries in the district were established during the 1940s and the 1950s. The aims of the auxiliaries were to assist mining unions to safeguard the health, lives and economic well-being of mine workers, including help in times of industrial struggle. The auxiliaries also pledged to work for the equal rights of women in political, social and civic life.