The Federated Ironworkers Association of Australia was formed in Sydney on 25 September 1908 by delegates from New South Wales and Victoria. By 1909 it had branches in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and Queensland. The Federation was registered in the Commonwealth Court on 20 May 1911. In October and November 1942 the Federation met with the Arms Explosives & Munition Workers' Federation regarding amalgamation and a National Executive Council was set up in 1943 representing the Federal Committees of Management of both Unions. The name of the organisation was to be the Metal & Munition Workers' Union but it was never registered as such.